Saturday, February 20, 2010

Screaming Lord Sutch

As much as I love Alice Cooper (my family celebrates his birthday every February 4th by declaring it a holiday called "The Feast Of Alice Cooper", which should be federal day off in my book) I know he wasn't the first horror themed rock act. There was of course Screamin' Jay Hawkins (who will be the subject of a multi part blog post I'm currently working on) and Arthur Brown (who's big song was "Fire"). Today Bernard Sheehan turned me on to another who had slipped past my radar.

Screaming Lord Sutch (real name David Edward Sutch) was a British singer from the 1960's. He had a hit with "Jack The Ripper", and dressed as the infamous slayer for his horror themed concerts. In the 1980's he actually started a political party in England called the "Official Monster Raving Loony Party" that actually got some notice and votes.

Unfortunately Screaming Lord Sutch committed suicide in 1999.

So today, let's remember an innovator of horror rock. Enjoy the youtube clip of him performing "Jack The Ripper".

Until Next Time,

Stay Insane!

No comments: