Saturday, December 12, 2009

Why I Think Clive Barker Is The Coolest Guy Ever

Why do I think Clive Barker is the coolest guy ever? Besides his bloody books and bizarre paintings and fantastic films (all of which I like) there is one more reason. Let me tell you the tale of the second time I met Clive Barker.

To tell the tale, I have to tell you the first time I met Clive Barker. When 'Nightbreed' came out on video he did a signing tour and one stop was a video store here on Long Island. I went there and actually wound up talking to him after he signed our stuff. The staff tried to shoo me away, but he asked that I stay. I don't know why, maybe because I could talk about books (I told him I was reading Dan Simmons' 'Song of Kali') and I didn't act like the other "O MY GOD I DREAM OF BEING A CENOBITE!" metal heads that yelled at him. We didn't talk long, maybe twenty minutes, but even talking to your hero for one minute is like gold to a fan. I would always remember that even if he didn't, because let's face it he meets thousands of people at these signings. That was cool, but the coolest was yet to come.

Five years later he was at Suffolk Community College giving a talk, and since I was taking classes there I decided to go listen to him. After the talk he hung out in the lobby and talked to everyone. Around him had gathered this group of goth kids, dressed in black and acting depressed as he chatted with them. I walked up and shook his hand and said, "I don't know if you remember me..."

I didn't finish the sentence.

"I remember you, (my real name) right? Did you finish 'Song of Kali?'"

Five years later and Clive Barker remembered my name! Five years later and Clive Barker remembered my name and what book I was reading! That is why Clive Barker is the coolest guy ever, at least to me.

Until Next Time, Stay Insane!

No comments: