Sunday, December 20, 2009

Friday The 13th (2009)-Yeah, Another Remake

Okay, if you've read this blog you may know that I don't really like remakes all that much. Don't get me started on the 1998 Psycho or Rob Zombie's 2007 Halloween (dear Lord, what were you thinking Robert?), I'll chew your ear off for hours. I refuse to spend my money going to the theater to see a remake, but if it's on cable I'll give it a try. Friday The 13th was on tonight so I decided to give it a try.

The problem with doing a Friday The 13th remake is Jason isn't the killer in that movie, his mother is. The studio knew they needed to have a Jason-centric film so they found a clever (as clever as I can give them credit for) way of getting around that. The film starts with a new version of the ending of the first Friday The 13th (1980) with Nana Visitor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) as Mama Voorhees set in 1980. In three minutes Mama meets the wrong end of a big machete and little Jason finds her. Quick cut to present day and we're off and running.

The movie takes plot points from many of the original Friday films. Really it's a remake of the best parts of the first ten films, with enough twists to keep fans of the originals on our toes. I will say it was a little fun playing the "Which Friday film is this scene a homage to?" game. They didn't try to do anything new with the movie, keeping with the Jason killing campers, d-bag rich kids and girls who can't seem to keep their clothes on (God bless them).

The writers tried to give Jason motivation in why he kills, which seems to be he doesn't like people coming onto his turf and trying to steal his marijuana plants. That makes him the angriest pot farmer ever in my book.

Where this film works, and where Rob Zombie's Halloween failed big time with Michael Myers, is they didn't dwell on Jason's childhood to try and make him sympathetic. Zombie demystified Myers and ruined the character. I'm sure the writers saw Zombie's mistakes and tried not to repeat them.

So how is the movie? It's actually a pretty good Friday The 13th film, and as much as I hate remakes I found myself liking this one. It's not perfect and it has flaws, but it's not as bad as some of the trash Hollywood forces down our throats. Plus I give it kudos for the best use of a wood chipper that isn't cliche (that sounds like it should be an award). So this one time I'll eat my words about remakes.

Until Next Time, Stay Insane!

No comments: