Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Famous Monsters of Filmland: The Web Site

I grew up with Forrest J Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland always in the house. I get teary eyed thinking about it's place in my formative years of the late 70's and early 80's. Now, under the leadership of Phil Kim the name Famous Monsters of Filmland is jumping to the web with a new web site.

Now I am a realist. I know that there can never be another FM like the one Uncle Forry gave us (I'm not going to rehash the dirty laundry of the 1990's relaunch and lawsuits, you can dig up that information on your own), and any attempt to emulate it would come off as a bad copy cat. So this is not the FM I fondly remember being on my bedroom floor next to my Remco Frankenstein action figure (not a doll, action figure), nor do I think I would want it to be.

I'm going to give this new incarnation of FM a chance. It has up to the nano second fantastic movie news, videos, and commentary. The design of the site evokes the feel of FM, and it doesn't try to ape Uncle Forry's style. I want to see this site develop it's own persona and voice.

So let's see how Famous Monsters grows into the next fifty years.

Until Next Time, Stay Insane!

No comments: